Journalists in New Delhi on Friday rose in unison against the arrest of a senior Urdu Journalist in the capital three days ago on the charge of allegedly playing a supportive role in the bomb blast in the Israeli embassy staffer's car here last month.
A Hyderabad court on Wednesday sent Devender Gupta, an accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid bomb blast, to 14-day judicial custody.
An Interpol notice has been issued against Dr Mohammad Shahnawaz and Asadullah Akthar, the men who are believed to have executed the Varanasi bomb blast on Tuesday. Even as investigations continue into the incident, all leads points towards the United Arab Emirates, where these men are based.
There has been no headway in the Jaipur serial bomb blasts that left over 60 persons dead and nearly 150 injured, says Gulab Chand Kataria, Rajasthan's Home Minister.
At least 8 people died and over 20 injured in the latest round of bomb attacks in northwest Pakistan, as a US drone strike killed 5 suspected militants in South Waziristan tribal region, considered a stronghold of Taliban commander Baitullah Mehsud.
"Many things are clearer now after the investigation but it will take time to reach to the crux of the matter," he said.
Senior Bharatiya Janata Party leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has urged Union Home minister P Chidambaram to take notice of the alleged differences emerging between the Mumbai police Special Investigating Team and the National Investigating Agency, and ensure better coordination the two to probe the Mumbai bomb blasts.
Pakistani intelligence agencies on Wednesday night claimed to have arrested an Indian national in connection with the Lahore car bomb blast earlier in the day."The accused was identified as Munir alias Satish Anand Shukla, a resident of Kolkata," TV channels quoted police sources as saying.Some of the reports claimed that the arrested had earlier worked with the Indian High Commission in London.
The government on Wednesday said the Indian economic growth story is intact and a dastardly act like the serial bomb blasts in Mumbai on Tuesday will not break the country's resolve to move forward.
A seven-year-old child was killed and over 20 injured in a bomb blast at a weekly market in Sonitpur district of Assam on Thursday afternoon.According to the police, unidentified militants detonated a powerful blast at Gorubandha market at Missamari in Sonitpur district at approximately 3 pm today, injuring over 20 persons. One of the injured, seven-year-old Anuj Kumar Gaur, died on the way to the hospital. The death toll is likely to go up.
The United States, the United Kingdom and Australia have issued travel advisories to their citizens in view of the bomb blast at a famous eatery frequented by foreigners in Pune, asking them to maintain a 'heightened situational awareness and a low profile.'
Justifying enactment of the National Investigation Agency Act and transferring the probe in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case to the agency, the Union government on Wednesday told the Bombay high court that Parliament could enact any act for the whole or any part of the country.
The incident took place at Veda village, said sub-inspector Jitendra Rabari of Vadali police station.
Of the 42 injured, the condition of 32 was described as serious. Of the four wounded children, a 10-year-old was in a serious condition.
Four persons, including a senior police officer, were killed and about 30 others injured when a powerful bomb blast targeted a police vehicle in Peshawar city of northwest Pakistan on Wednesday, officials and witnesses said.
How did the Gujarat police manage what the police in Mumbai, Hyderabad, Jaipur and Bengaluru could not do in the last two years? Sheela Bhatt finds out
Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik telephoned his Indian counterpart P Chidambaram on Saturday and offered condolences on the loss of lives in Mumbai's triple bomb blasts while assuring his country's "fullest assistance".
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday drove straight on his return from Dhaka to Ram Manohar Lohia hospital in New Delhi to visit those injured in the bomb blast outside Delhi high court.
Uttam Potdar and Salim Mira Shaikh were held guilty of facilitating landing of arms and RDX at Dighi coast in Raigad in February 1993.
Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil reviewed security situation with senior officials on Wednesday night, following the four low-intensity explosions in Pune.
Eleven others had surrendered before the same court on Wednesday. Eight more convicts, including actor Sanjay Dutt, have been given time by the Supreme Court to return to jail to serve the remaining period of sentence.
Malik used to criticise the BJP-led Central government and the then opposition leader in Maharashtra, Devendra Fadnavis, when he was a cabinet minister in the erstwhile MVA government led by Uddhav Thackeray.
In a cruel twist of fate, 22-year-old techie Swati fell victim to the twin bomb blasts on the Bangalore-Guwahati train just two months before she was to tie the nuptial knot.
The Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad said on Tuesday that Rs 4 lakh was deposited in the account of Mulund explosion accused Wazhul Kamar Khan, a few months before the blasts in the metropolis during 2002-2003.
Iran on Wednesday refused to "accept" or "deny" its role in the bomb attack on an Israeli car in New Delhi but questioned the basis of the allegations, saying it should be left to India to verify the real position.
National Investigation Agency brought Dilsukhnagar bomb blast suspect and Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal to Hyderabad on a transit warrant on Sunday.
Nineteen years after a blast shook the Hindu Munnani office here killing two persons and injuring four, the trial in the case has begun at a local court. The blast on Tamil New Year Day on April 14, 1995 at the state headquarters of the Sangh Parivar group killed 'Bible' Shanmugam, a Munnani leader besides another who allegedly planted the bomb.
Two policemen were injured in a bomb blast, triggerred by the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom, at Doomdooma township in Tinsukia district of Assam.
The Bangalore police have dismissed any such reports as being rumours.
The Kerala police on Tuesday arrested Parapanagadi Yosuf, the main accused in the 2006 Kozhikode twin bomb blast case and a confidant of suspected Lashkar-e-Tayiba militant T Naseer.Yosuf was nabbed at 2 am from nearby Ambelamedu and the National Investigation Team, which is probing the blast case, has been informed, police said.
A special court also took on record the chargesheet filed by the CBI against co-accused Mustafa Ahmed Dossa alias Majnu Mustafa.
The Rajasthan police have taken into custody a man from Chanda village here for interrogation in connection with the October 11 bomb blast at the shrine of Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti in Ajmer, the police said.
Dr Singh said 'the government will not rest till the guilty are punished'.
The bench, which refused to stay the high court verdict, imposed certain conditions and directed that the four people, who were acquitted, be released unless wanted in any other case.
A special court, hearing cases related to serial bomb blasts in churches in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Goa in 2000, has convicted 23 people belonging to the Deendar Channabasaveshwara Anjuman group.Of the 27 accused who were tried, four were acquitted.In 2000, six blasts were carried out by the group in Andhra Pradesh, four in Karnataka and one each in Maharashtra and Goa.
The blast occurred on the busy Istiklal pedestrian street, a popular spot among tourists at around 4.20 pm local time.
Amid a political uproar over bomb blasts at Narendra Modi's rally venue in Patna, Congress on Monday appeared to suggest that his brand of politics was allegedly providing an opportunity to disruptive elements to engage in such activities.
Four Iraqi soldiers and seven civilians were killed in the explosion, set off by a suicide bomber in a car packed with nearly half a ton of explosives.
The police is not ruling out this possibility as militant outfits are known to keep changing their modus operandi.